Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Mystery of Martha

Today I finally got my FTM fixed.  I just deleted my trees and re- downloaded my tree from ancestry.  It fixed the problem, What ever it was.  Now what ever work I do trying to find my Martha's maiden name will sync.  Yea!  I really like the Family View report on FTM.  I really wanted to print James Alsia CHANDLER's family view report but it really bothered me that Martha had no maiden name and I really didn't want to print it like that.  I really wanted to print as many of these reports as I could for my family history book, before Thanksgiving.  Any way on to my Martha whom up until this point has been a brick wall.

Martha UNKNOWN DOUGLAS/DOUGLASS is my husband's 3rd Great Grandmother.  First I am going to make sure I have all of the facts saved from all of the sources I have found for her in ancestry.com.

1850 United States Federal Census
Martha Douglas, born abt 1814 in North Carolina, home in 1850: May, Rutherford, Tennessee.
She is married to Younger Douglas (45) and they are listed with the following children: Noah H Douglas (16), Eli Douglas (13), Priscilla C Douglas (12), Elenor C Douglas (10), Margaret E Douglas (6), and Nancy J Douglas (2).

1860 United States Federal Census
Martha Douglas born abt 1814 in South Carolina. Home in 1860 District 1, Lauderdale, Alabama.  Married to Younger Douglas (55) and they are listed with the following children: Percilla C Douglas (21), Ellender C Douglas (19), Margaret E Douglas (17), Nancy J Douglas (12), Hugh G Douglas (9), James B Douglas (6).

I can't seem to find her in the 1870 Census.

1880 United States Federal Census
Martha Douglas born abt 1814 in Alabama.  Home in 1880 Lauderdale, Alabama.  Widowed living with her son Hugh Douglas (22).  Father's birthplace is listed as Delaware and mother's birthplace is listed as England.

That is all I know right now for sure.  It has been rumored that she married in 1833.  It was rumored that she married in Fauguier, Virginia, USA.  I say they are rumors because I still haven't seen any sources to prove this.

She is consistent with reporting her age but her birthplace varies.  She could have been born in North or South Carolina or even Alabama.  This makes me curious for sure.  Since she isn't consistent in reporting her own birth place I am wondering how correct she is in reporting her parents'.  

I have already searched on Newpapers.com for her obit and found nothing.  I think I am going to see if I can find her 1870 Census first.  I am going to a search for her with her children and not her husband as he could have already passed prior to that.  I don't see anything on ancestry.com.  I need to go check Family Search.

I can't seem to fin the 1870 Census or her death or marriage record so I am going to go try and find more info on her other family members.  Maybe one of their death records will give me some info.

Ok.  Now looking at Younger Douglass' 1830 Census, either he had another spouse or Martha now has an alternate birth of 1801-1810 because he lists himself in the 20-29 male category and he lists 1 female in this age category.  Also Younger either had another son or maybe Noah H was born prior to the 1830 Census instead of 1835.  Nope!  There is definitely a 3rd older boy!  on the 1940 census there are 1 male under 5, 1 male 5-9, and 1 male 10-14.

No comments:

Post a Comment